5.1.13

books

A wee while ago I asked my friends which books I should read. They came back with an eclectic list - because obviously my friends read a lot of books and (hopefully) also have excellent taste. After whittling out all of the vague authors names-with-no-book-titles, and already-read gems, I now have myself a list. Initially I was going to conduct a Kinders Al Kinley inspired 2013 challenge for myself - but I just don't think I have his determination. (However he did contribute to this list - for which I am grateful). I have added one of my own which has been sat by my bed for many moons (Oh What a Carve Up) which was given to me by a good friend many many months ago. Sorry Jules. It is on a list now, so don't worry. 

I'm not going to make a foolish promise to read all of the books below. Come on. But I will use this is a go-to list. Expect reviews. short and sweet ones. Soon. (Hopefully).

So here you go. My to-reads. 


Margaret Atwood - oryx and crake
Paul Auster – Leviathan
Paul Auster - Mr Vertigo
Franco Berardi - The Soul at Work
Mikhil Bulgakov - Master and margarita
Camus - The Outsider
Camus - The Plague
Jonathan Coe – Oh What a Carve up.
Michael Cunningham - A Home at the end of the world
Jared Diamond - Collapse
Junot Diaz - Oscar Wao + Drown
Dickens - Great Expectations
Jim Dodge - Stone Junction
David Eagleman - Sum
Jeffery Eugenides - Middlesex
Fitzgerald – Gatsby
Robert Girardi - Madeleine's Ghost
Ursula Le Guin - The Dispossessed
Joseph Heller - Catch 22
Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Frank Herbert - Dune series
Huxley - Brave New World
Jeroen Krabbe - The Discovery of Heaven
Primo Levi - If This is a Man
Marquez - The General In His Labyrinth
Marquez - 100 Years of Solitude
Last of the Savages - Jay McInernery
Czesław Miłosz - Captive Mind
Haruki Murakami - IQ 84
Alun Paton - Cry the Beloved Country
Mervyn Peake - Ghormenghast trilogy
Marge Piercy - Gone to Soldiers
Thomas Pynchon - Gravities Rainbow
Antione de Sant Exupery - The Little Prince
Salinger - Franny and Zoey
Marjane Satrapi – Persepolis
Rebecca Solnit - Extraordinary Communities that Arise in Disasters
John Steinbeck - East of Eden
Scarlett Thomas - End of Mr Y
Stefan Zweig - Chess Story

No comments: